How Restoration Experts Help Homeowners Deal With Soot Damage From Puff Back

Restoration Experts provides residential and business cleanups that are thorough and meticulous. Full restoration services are available for when property damage strikes. They know that customers expect a quick response and do not want to wait after suffering through any ordeal.

The team at Restoration Experts is always prepared with their emergency services when a home has suffered damages from water, fire, smoke, or furnace or fireplace puff back.

soot damage restoration

Having a licensed contractor on staff means Restoration Experts can perform the work that is essential to restore a residence or business to its pre-damage condition. The crew has access to the best equipment and the right tools to accomplish the job, whether large or small.

Nearly one million house fires are reported annually. Damage from a fire is more complicated than water damage or mold mitigation. Combustion from a fire injects toxic chemicals and dangerous particles into the air, which may then enter the body and cause harm.

Smoke is loaded with poisonous gases

When someone inhales smoke in a house fire, they are breathing in a multiplicity of toxic gases. The smoke, which is mostly carbon monoxide, also contains cyanide. Many modern homes are constructed with an abundance of synthetic material such as plastic, rubber, or foam. When those materials ignite, they give off fumes that can cause cyanide poisoning.

Cyanide, a toxic chemical gas, prevents the human body from absorbing and utilizing oxygen. Breathing fumes from the toxic combustion of household materials also impairs normal respiration, which may lead to suffocation. Being deprived of oxygen, even for short periods, can cause irreversible harm, including irreparable brain impairment.

When a home catches on fire and fills with smoke, occupants should exit the structure as quickly as possible, staying close to the floor where the purer air is located. Estimates are that a home can become consumed by fire within five minutes. Occupants only have about two minutes to make a safe escape before being trapped by fire or smoke.

Soot is also dangerous

Soot can find its way into the body through many avenues, including inhalation, ingestion, and contact with the skin and eyes. These tiny, toxic particles can cause breathing issues, including asthma and bronchitis. Coronary heart disease and cancer can be traced to exposure to soot. The relationship between soot and cancer first became evident in the late 1700s when skin cancer was discovered in chimney sweepers in England. Infants, the elderly, and people with pre-existing respiratory conditions are the most vulnerable to suffer from or be affected by soot.

An article from the National Cancer Institute provides more information about the cancer-causing toxins in soot: “Soot is a byproduct of the incomplete burning of organic (carbon-containing) materials, such as wood, fuel oil, plastics, and household refuse. The fine black or brown powder that makes up soot may contain many carcinogens, including arsenic, cadmium, and chromium.”

Exposure to soot can have severe short-term and long-term health effects. After a fire or a fireplace puff back, eliminating soot residue is crucial to restoring a home or business to a soot-free, safe, and odorless condition, especially if infants or the elderly are present in the home.

Tips for soot damage

Tip #1: Call a certified fire damage restoration specialist first. An initial conversation, which may be followed up by an inspection and assessment of the soot or fire damage, can help with the decision to move forward with professionals trained and equipped to handle the situation.

Tip #2: Do not treat smoke and soot damage the same way. Professionals can distinguish between the two and apply the appropriate restoration measures to clean walls and furnishings. Incorrectly addressing soot damage could complicate and delay the restoration process, thus increasing the cost of the project.

Tip #3: Use industry-standard procedures and protective gear whenever cleaning an area damaged by soot, fire, water, or mold. An allergic reaction, a serious asthma attack, or toxic shock from skin or eye contamination could require an emergency room visit or a stay in the hospital.

Tip #4: Follow these simple and safe emergency steps for a prompt and successful restoration in the case of a fireplace puff back incident.

  • Change the furnace filter.
  • Cover furniture with clean sheets before use.
  • Tape doubled pieces of cheesecloth over air registers with masking tape.
  • Brush-vacuum loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes, and carpeting.
  • Do not clean walls or ceilings. Leave these surfaces for the team of professionals at Restoration Experts.
  • Do not use DIY home upholstery or carpet cleaners.
soot damage restoration

Fire, smoke, and soot damage restoration requires extensive training, the right equipment, and the best cleaning solutions and certified-safe protective gear. For more information about property damage restoration, visit the Restoration Experts website at restorationexperts.com. Contact the office by phone at (631) 588-1110.

foot-logo
At Restoration Experts, we make your satisfaction a priority. We can even take care of billing your insurance for you, and many of our clients don’t have any out of pocket expenses with us. When you’re ready to let us take on your damage, contact us. Our staff is available to take your questions at any time, so call today.

Contact Us

205 Ronkonkoma Ave.

Ronkonkoma, NY. 11779

info@restorationexperts.com

631-588-1110

Call Now Button